Saturday 25 April 2015

Lest we forget.

Anzac Day is one of Australia’s most important national occasions. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War.

It also goes beyond the anniversary of the landing on Gallipoli in 1915. It is the day on which we remember Australians who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations. The spirit of Anzac, with its human qualities of courage, mate-ship, and sacrifice, continues to have meaning and relevance for our sense of national identity.

I remember watching Gallipoli (the movie) in my high school history class. I remember feeling the tension, the emotion, and the heartbreak from the movie's depiction of WW1.

It would have been nothing like what someone who was there- or knew someone who was there- would have experienced...

And that's, I suppose, what we do forget, or choose not to think about.

When an international crisis happens nowadays (I'm already starting to feel old saying that), we all look to the news and internet to decipher what's actually happening, who's to blame, who will survive, etc...

I can only imagine there was a lot of waiting; and all I can do is close my eyes and feel thankful for my life today because of that.

Because today is the day we take a small moment of time out of our days, and our lives, and remember the men, women, and boys, who served, fought, and died for us all those years ago.

And so... I baked.

Using a basic flower cutter, a chopstick, chocolate, and cake pop tray, I made some red fondant "poppies".


Added some basic circular shortbread biscuits iced with white royal icing...


And together, they looked like this:


May we not forget the soldiers that fought for us in the wars.
May we not forget the nurses who cared for those who hurt.
May we not forget that the world is not cut out for World War III.
May we finally remember... This is not how it's meant to be.

Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment