Wednesday 20 August 2014

To a Tea!

"Make tea, not war." - Monty Python

A 'High Tea' is an English meal that became popular in the 1600s. Served at a High Tea were a variety of snacks, cakes, and (obviously) tea. High Tea was originally around 4 or 5pm, and closely related to dinner.

The modern version usually takes place as an afternoon tea, with an outrageously delightful and colourful array of miniature (and oh so delicious!) edible items.

Whenever I attend a High Tea, I always feel proper. There's a mixture of excitement from being away from my children for the afternoon; nervousness about wearing a dress; and exhaustion because I would have stayed up all night shaving my legs for the occasion, making sure I didn't leave that one frustrating line of hair to glisten in the sunshine for the world to see.

Even though women aren't judgemental, and would never pay attention to that tiny detail and refuse to forget that time they met you and you didn't have your legs shaved properly... Women never hold onto random information like that, right?


High Teas are nice, though. Fancy clothes, delicate teacups, miniature food to eat daintily (you know, instead of shoving it in my mouth mid sentence because we're constantly running late), e.g.

I instead find myself crossing my legs like a real lady, practicing correct posture, taking the time to sip and enjoy a cup of tea (while it's still hot!), and not speaking with food in my mouth!

Perhaps it's just the novelty of an afternoon out of the house, with other ladies and no children!? It's like I'm reminded that I am more than tracksuit pants, crying preschoolers, dirty dishes, and disgusting floors.

Last year, I was asked to make some cupcakes for a Jane Austen themed High Tea event. When I asked for some specifics, I was told 'pastel', for the colour, 'pretty' for the style, and 'mini' for the size.

And this was what I created: Pink, yellow, purple, blue, orange, and green pastel, pretty, mini, floral cupcakes :)



The High Tea was set inside a church, and
here's what one of the tables set up looked like:


In "Wonderland", Alice attends a tea party that is quite different to this kind of High Tea...


Mad Hatter:  Would you like some more tea?
Alice:  Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more.
Hare:  Ah, You mean you can't very well take less.
Mat Hatter:  Yes. You can always take more than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment