Sunday 18 May 2014

Mum's the word!

If there's anyone who has an eye for detail, it would be my mother.

For example, I once asked her about the stories of the births of myself and my two older sisters. She told me that we were all "about 6 pounds", born "about lunch time", and labour was "about 8 hours."

On the other extreme, one of the last things that Husband's mother told me before she passed away was that in the breastfeeding stage, your breasts will squirt milk out of them when you have an orgasm.


I do enjoy that God didn't make any two mothers alike.

In other news, I've wanted to attempt an ombre style cake for a while, but hadn't yet had the chance. I figured that my mother and family would accept being the candidates <cough-guineapigs-cough> for this 'experiment', on the occasion of my mother's birthday.



I can't remember why I didn't take any progress photos of the cake. I assume it was due to the fact that I am a third child, and am secretly suppressing resentment about having little to no photographs of me growing up.

Since everything must have a meaning when I design a cake, there are 9 silver hearts on top, because there are 9 people in my mother's family*. I also chose pink because I thought it would look pretty, and represent warmth, beauty, and femininity.

It had nothing to do with running out of time, and only having a bottle of pink colouring within reach on the bench next to me at the time.

* It would totally have been a great way to announce a pregnancy if I'd put 10 hearts on top, but that would mean that we'd actually need to be pregnant - which we are most definitely not.

Happy birthday Mum! x

1 comment: