Sunday 27 April 2014

Happy Easter!

I know I'm a little late to the party, but...

HAPPY EASTER!

Last Sunday was Easter Sunday - the day, as a Christian, we celebrate the rising of Jesus on the third day, after his death on Good Friday.


For Easter Sunday, our church held an outreach event called an "eggstravaganza" to encourage the community to get involved, come and have fun, eat chocolate, and be able to hear about the great news about the true meaning of Easter (i.e. not the one with the bunny).

My job for the event, was to organise and oversee the biscuit "Easter egg" decorating. I was super eggcited about this, as I really enjoy crafts, especially the edible kinds. It also meant I could spend more  quality time with my close friends "Sugar" and "Cadbury".

As this was our first eggstravaganza, I wasn't sure what to eggspect. So, I made (because I'm also a bit crazy) 7 different colours of royal icing, in 14 different containers. Alll the colours of the rainbow! ;)


Next time, I might perhaps demonstrate the idea that I had in mind for the decorating part (as I would usually do at our 4FAMILIES program) as the children were sitting near a container of icing, and given a plate with:

- arrowroot biscuits
- smarties
- white chocolate bits
- sugar straps

I'm sure most of them were thinking "what the heck am I supposed to make with this?" ... But this was the idea I had in mind:


Next time, Gadget.

Really, though, no matter which way they were decorated, they made for a delicious breakfast! Hehehe. It was a really fun morning, and I am already looking forward to next year's event.

And though it is rumoured that chocolate eggs are hollow because it's cheaper to make them that way, and because it's much less sickening to eat than a massive solid egg, I am sticking to the story that it is because the tomb where Jesus lay after he died, was empty when He had risen on that first Easter morning.

Not many people benefit us after they've died. Some distant great relatives may give us 'things' or money as an inheritance, etc. But Jesus, through his death and resurrection, brings us something so much greater!

Jesus brings: A way out of darkness. Direction in life. Hope to the broken. Life to the full. Forgiveness of sin. Satisfaction to the satisfied. Rest for the weary. Eternal life.

Which one is most important to you? For me, on many days, it is this:

"Come to me, all who are weary and carry heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest."   -Jesus
Matthew 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment