Monday 10 March 2014

Happy birthday Jonathan!

And so... 4 whole years has passed since our youngest son, Jonathan, was born. After being 7 days overdue, he finally graced the world with his presence at 7:45pm, on March 10th, 2010, weighing in nicely at 3.990kg - a few jelly beans shy of 4kg.


Knowing that he was likely going to be our last child, I made sure that we enjoyed each moment with him. Our two older children are only 14 months apart, so the first few years of parenthood for me were almost a complete blur!

For the last 4 years, though they have flown by much faster than I expected them to, it's been a delight to have this little boy in our lives. Ben & Tamara adore him (sometimes a little too much), and do what they can to make him happy (because let's face it - if there's no crying preschooler in the house - everybody's happy!)

There's been triumphs and struggles, as usual with any parent/child relationship. There's been tears and laughter, sometimes within seconds of each other. But all in all, Jonathan's a simple boy. He will tell you what he wants, what he doesn't want, what he likes, and what he doesn't.


But, much like his mother (yay!?), he doesn't just float to one obsession after the other- He sprints. And then, as if nothing has changed, he bounces back to the former obsession again - much like a ping pong ball. I suppose the main obsessions have been Ben 10, Spiderman, and now, LEGO Star Wars.

Because for the past month, I'm not kidding - with every single waking moment, he's asked (again, and again, and again) to play LEGO Star Wars, a game that my eldest son had downloaded onto the Xbox about a day before this obsession began.


Sadly, there's been times that he's requested my help in the game, and I have no idea what to do, or how to play! He gets his gaming skills from his father, and my skills are limited to the Toy Story 3 game - a game that I both love and understand, but don't have time to play anymore.

I'm not sure whether to be happy that his Ben 10 and Spiderman obsessions have been pushed aside for the time being, or not! But if you were interested, these are the many faces involved in playing LEGO Star Wars:


So to keep things simple this year, I made some simple cupcakes for him to take to his preschool for his birthday. Last year, the obsession was Ben 10, so I had made Omnitrix biscuits. In a way I am glad that I get to make something new, so considering that LEGO Star Wars is the latest faze, I made appropriately themed cupcakes for him to share with his friends.

"Master Yoda" cupcakes:


Imagine my reaction when I show Jonathan these cupcakes on the morning of his birthday! He clearly recognises who is on top and exclaims "Coooool, Master Yoda! ... But where's General Grievous?"

<sigh>
He gets that from his father, too!

But, to prove my point about this current obsession, I took a few photos over a course of a couple of minutes, and though at a glance they look the same, there's indeed many expressions that Jonathan has when he plays LEGO Star Wars!


Happy birthday Jonathan!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment