Thursday 6 February 2014

Nutella Day!

Apparently it's World Nutella Day today!

Nutella is a worldwide favourite choc-hazelnut spread, created in the 1940s by a guy called Ferrero. It's popularity has caused it availability to spread over 75 countries, including Australia in 1978, and it is currently the third largest selling branded spread in Australian supermarkets.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers collecting Nutella jars as a child! You know, the glass ones with all the cartoons on them!? Are they still around? Actually, don't answer that. It might just encourage my kids (and myself) to sit around each afternoon and devour jar after jar of Nutella just for the glasses...

Ooh, but I'm so curious now. I'm certain my mother still has the glasses my sisters and I collected as we were growing up... Marketing at it's finest, right!?

Well, becoming aware of World Nutella Day just this morning, I decided that it would be completely unAustralian not to celebrate World Nutella Day. So along with my kids taking Nutella sandwiches for lunch today (which was completely unintentional that it was on World Nutella Day, and it actually happens everyday), I've finally made some of these that, for ages, I kept seeing pop up on Facebook:


The Kidspot recipe (which has a total of 2 ingredients) can be found here. Mine made 5 Tupperware sized popsicles, which happens to be perfect, because there's 5 people in my family!


The verdict:

They were super simple to make (I honestly don't know why I haven't tried these before today), and I especially loved that for starters - it worked! They also turned out as a two-toned ice-cream, which most importantly tasted just like Nutella!


My kids all exclaimed that they were "AMAZING!!" and have asked me to make them again. Which I will, because they were one of the easiest things I have ever made. I just need to remember to slowly pull them out of the holders, or the handles come out without any ice-cream attached.


And just like anything that includes Nutella as an ingredient, within minutes it was spread almost all over Jonathan's face :)

Did you know?

- If all the number of Nutella jars sold in a year were lined up, they would wrap around the moon four times.
- Napolean and Hitler are responsible for the world's Nutella addiction.
(True story!)
- A jar of Nutella is sold every 2.5 seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment