Friday 20 December 2013

Dear Santa...

Ah, Santa Claus. The man whom everyone has a different opinion about... Don't worry. I'm not going to write a post about my views on Santa. I'm going to share a creative Santa-based cupcake I have just made!

Much like the pretzel reindeer pops that were inspired by stumbling upon creative and tasty Christmas treats on the internet, I'm sure you've seen these before, too.

SANTA HAT STRAWBERRIES!

Made on chocolate cupcakes, I piped buttercream icing, dipped it in coconut, placed the strawberry on top, and put some more buttercream icing and sprinkled coconut on top. So simple, yet so so tasty!


I love Christmas, I really do. It's an incredibly busy time, but especially this year, I'm so excited about it! I enjoy watching Christmas movies (my favourites probably being Home Alone), buying and wrapping presents, listening to Christmas songs, and seeing my children making plans to get up super early on Christmas morning to make Mum and Dad breakfast in bed... Just kidding, but that would be  really lovely, hey.

Okay, maybe I will write a little something about my views on Santa.

My 10 year old and I have recently chatted about the "idea" of Santa. He is at the age of doubt, repetitive questions, and repetitive questions. This chat, though initiated by him, I think only went as well as it did because I stumbled upon this letter that has been making its way through the internet. When prompted, Ben told me that the idea of Santa was to get kids to behave for their parents or they won't get any presents... Which led to a discussion about what it means to be "good" and "naughty", and about receiving something even though we don't deserve it. We discussed God's love for us, and the greatest gift he gave to us - Jesus! We don't deserve forgiveness or eternal life, but God still gives it to us through the death and resurrection of his only Son.

As I gaze across at our Christmas tree, surrounded by colourfully wrapped presents, I am excited about seeing them be opened soon. There's a certain joy of giving and receiving at Christmas time, and it fills me with delight.

And, alright, I'll admit: I'm also delighted because this is the first year that all three of my children have had their photo taken with Santa without a family member needing to jump in due to tears.


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment