Friday 11 October 2013

Creative housework!

I've just started a new way of doing the housework. Yay! Why am I blogging about it? Because it's creative, and I'm really excited about it! Adapted, slightly, from creative exercising, I've designed myself a housework-related card game!

It's simple.
Here's what I did:

I wrote down on a few small pieces of paper a room or area in my house, e.g. Bedroom #1, Bedroom #2, Bathroom, Kitchen, Pantry, Laundry, Bookshelves, etc. You could be as specific or as broad as you like, I guess.

I shuffled and stacked these papers upside down, next to a timer (my phone) which I kept setting for 30 minutes. The aim was to spend 30 minutes tidying or cleaning that particular room/area (that was on the paper picked up, one at a time) and nothing else! You see, I'm the kind of person who tends to get distracted quite easily (you better believe it!), claiming that it's 'multi-tasking', and I'm totally being 'really productive and time efficient'.


I would spend my days at home wandering around the house, tidying bits and pieces here and there, starting one job and then leaving it due to a sudden desire to bake (for example), only to really not have much to show for all my hard efforts at the end of each day... Except un-iced cupcakes, or a half-swept floor*.

* Just kidding. I don't own a broom.

Being a stay-at-home mum means that the fact that I've now organised a housework 'game' is like totally the most exciting thing I've done all day!!

... Which is a bit sad, really.

But, if you're anything like me, and struggle to remain attentive to one given task/room to clean at a time (I believe it's a lack of something called 'self-control'), give this game a go! Experiment with it... Be creative! I found myself justifying spending more time on each room. Though, perhaps that's just continuing on the vicious cycle by not having much to show for it at the end of the day... Except a reeeaally shiny toilet.

"I hate housework. You make the beds, you do the dishes,
and six months later you have to start all over again."
- Joan Rivers

No comments:

Post a Comment