Monday 18 February 2013

Cookies and (ice) Cream... Again!

So currently, my oven is broken! It has meant that I've accidentally taken another 'vacation' from baking (and blogging)... I've joked with friends about my oven breaking down from being over-used, especially recently... I've been a bit bored knowing that I can't make cupcakes at the moment until a new element comes (hopefully soon), and with the busyness of children being back to school and routines and term activities, I haven't really done anything creative lately! With that as a shock to the system, I decided to make something that didn't need my oven to make!

I reminded myself of my many failed attempts at Cookies and (ice) Cream, and I'm sure I've mentioned before that my husband and I are both (well, the whole family really) fans of Ben & Jerry's ice cream... And my husband (at the time of these unsuccessful attempts) suggested that I try freezing the cookie dough instead of baking it!

... Genius !!

Taking that idea, and mixing it slightly with my own, I came up with making some of my favourite (like seriously) Ben & Jerry's ice cream bowls! The plan was to freeze the cookie dough in bowl shapes, and then scoop a small amount of (home made) choc chip ice cream into the bowls, and hopefully end up with bite sized cookie dough ice cream bowls!

With some prepared cookie dough, my new cake pop tray I hadn't yet used since Christmas, and an egg separater, I placed balls of cookie dough into the cake pop tray and squished them down to make the 'bowls'. I put them in the freezer while I made the ice cream.



Using my son's ice cream maker, I made vanilla ice cream, and then threw in some chocolate pieces before freezing it. The frozen cookie dough bowls turned out fine (I just needed to remember not to leave it in the freezer for too long).

Then I scooped some into my little cookie bowls, and voila! Home made rip-off replica Ben & Jerry's ice cream!!


 Tastes nothing like the real thing, but it was still fun attempting to make it!

And all my kids were more than happy to try them for dessert :)

No comments:

Post a Comment