Down the right side of the jeans, from top to bottom, is an opening. On the left side, this opening is broken by a pocket in the middle.
Luckily, I have plenty of left-over material from my butterfly canvases, so there were lots of colours and patterns to choose from! At the moment I'm going through a green faze, so I have chosen plain green, and patterned green (and floral pink) to use for this project... :)
Before I started sewing the material onto the jeans, I made sure I tied all the loose buckles back onto the jeans... I did NOT want them to get stuck in the needle of the machine and break it! Safety first. No matter how time consuming fiddling with little buckles and even littler pieces of threads, tying knots smaller than fleas around them, can be... :)
I did end up sewing the material back onto itself, though... Oops! But... With a small trim of the material at the bottom (after 'hemming' it) and along the sides, the first half of the transformed jeans were finished!! Yay!!
Well... Despite my apparent confidence, this side was both easier and harder. There was more 'pull' on the jeans trying to feed them through the sewing machine, and because I had to stop half way and start from the other side, I accidentally pinched together a bit of the jeans in the middle. It all turned out okay, though... I'm not sure what I'd do differently if I needed to do it again... But, it's done and I'm so pleased I finally did something with these 'dust collectors'! And. I now have a new pair of jeans that actually fit me... Yay!!
I'm inspired to try a whole list of new sewing projects ;)